Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Face In The Window

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
roadkillpossum

roadkillpossum

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2007-10-02

The Face In The Window Empty
PostSubject: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 9:18 am

From Wikepedia: The Face in the Window

On November 16, 1876, the people of Carrollton, Alabama watched helplessly as their courthouse burned to the ground. The Pickens County Courthouse had been a source of pride for the people of Carrollton. Their first courthouse had been burned down by invading Union Army troops during the American Civil War, an act that seemed to serve no purpose other than to inflict humiliation on the town. In the difficult days of the Reconstruction, when materials were scarce and money was even scarcer, rebuilding the courthouse seemed to be an impossible task. Yet, through hard work and deep personal sacrifices, the courthouse was somehow rebuilt. It stood as a testament to the perseverance of the town, and a symbol of defiance even in the face of defeat at the hands of the Union soldiers. Yet, less than twelve years after Union troops had set fire to their first courthouse, the new one burned to a pile of smoldering ruin, apparently the result of a burglary gone wrong. Even as work began on a third courthouse, the townspeople demanded accountablity for the horrible act.

Henry Wells was no angel. He was said to have a horrible temper, and there was no denying he had been involved in several brawls. Rumors went even further; people said he constantly carried a straight razor, and was not afraid to use it. Despite the rumors, however, there was only vague circumstantial evidence against him in the burning of the courthouse. He was charged and arrested on four counts: arson, burglary, carrying a concealed weapon and assault with intent to murder.

As word spread through the town of Wells' arrest, the sheriff could sense trouble brewing. The sheriff removed Wells from the local jail and hid him in the attic of the courthouse. He went to the window, and looked down on the crowd. He yelled defiantly, at the top of his lungs, "I am innocent. If you kill me, I am going to haunt you for the rest of your lives!" Just then, a bolt of lightning struck nearby, flashing the image of Wells' face, contorted with fear, to the crowd below. Wells was eventually placed on trial in Carrollton for the crime. He died in jail after confessing to the charges.

The face remains in the courthouse window to this very day. No amount of washing has been able to remove it. (And, locals say, the pane has been replaced many times over the years. The face always reappears.)

Growing up in Alabama, it is a common day trip to view the face. My parents took me, and I took my daughter. My husband's family took him and his sister when they were young. Almost every Alabamian has seen it.

The story was, also, one of the original compilations in Kathryn Tucker Wyndham's, 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Back to top Go down
Spiritwind
Admin

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2007-09-26

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 10:23 am

Wow thats creepy! Thanks for shareing!
Back to top Go down
https://thehauntedforum.forummotion.com
PurpleMist
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PurpleMist

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 6:26 am

Wondering if Taylor has seen it? And I wonder if he believes in ghosts?
Back to top Go down
roadkillpossum

roadkillpossum

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2007 2:38 am

I would think he has seen it. You can't live in Alabama without seeing it at least once. It's the law.
Back to top Go down
PurpleMist
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PurpleMist

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2007 8:42 am

roadkillpossum wrote:
I would think he has seen it. You can't live in Alabama without seeing it at least once. It's the law.

Oh really? Are you from Alabama then? Where abouts?

I'd love to be able to travel around and check out all the most haunted places around the country. I watch all those shows on tv and wish I could see them in person. My BFF and I would love to go on a ghost hunt!! We're always talking about it.
Back to top Go down
roadkillpossum

roadkillpossum

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2007 9:44 am

Yes. Yes, I am. Born and raised in central Alabama.

The South Carolina area has some fantastic ghost tours.
Back to top Go down
PurpleMist
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PurpleMist

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2007 6:15 pm

roadkillpossum wrote:
Yes. Yes, I am. Born and raised in central Alabama.

Have you done ghost tours and ghost hunts?
Back to top Go down
Spiritwind
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:37 am

I dont know if I could deal with that. haahaa I have my own haunted house thats enough for me.
Back to top Go down
PurpleMist
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PurpleMist

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:41 am

Casper wrote:
I dont know if I could deal with that. haahaa I have my own haunted house thats enough for me.

Oh really Jodie?! Do tell. Unless ofcourse you've already posted about it here somewhere. I'm still working on exploring and reading.
Back to top Go down
roadkillpossum

roadkillpossum

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 8:30 am

PurpleMist wrote:

Have you done ghost tours and ghost hunts?[/quote]

No. I've only went through the haunted houses they set up around Halloween, but, my husband and I were considering vacationing in the Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA area in the Spring. While I was researching the areas, I ran across the tours and thought they would be fun.
Back to top Go down
PurpleMist
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PurpleMist

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 5:10 pm

roadkillpossum wrote:
PurpleMist wrote:

Have you done ghost tours and ghost hunts?

No. I've only went through the haunted houses they set up around Halloween, but, my husband and I were considering vacationing in the Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA area in the Spring. While I was researching the areas, I ran across the tours and thought they would be fun.[/quote]

Cool! If you end up doing the haunted tours, please report back here.
Back to top Go down
Lycana

Lycana

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 11:00 pm

That is quite a story! I can't believe they have replaced the pane and the face keeps reappearing! Wow!
Back to top Go down
Spiritwind
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 5:15 am

I guess we will have to stop there when we go see Tay Jam :)
Back to top Go down
roadkillpossum

roadkillpossum

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:04 am

Lycana wrote:
That is quite a story! I can't believe they have replaced the pane and the face keeps reappearing! Wow!

It's true LOL Or at least that's the legend.

Ya'll stop by if you're in the area. The people are very nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Face In The Window   The Face In The Window Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Face In The Window
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Tall Tales :: True or False?-
Jump to: